Meet the Team Natanya H. Brooks
"Nothing growing at that rate isn't alive. This is probably cancer." Those words from my doctor completely changed the life I had built. I had an amazing career as a civil defense attorney, a wonderful husband, a beautiful baby girl and another one on the way.
During a routine ultrasound, my doctor found a large mass growing near the baby, and he said I would need emergency surgery to remove it. I was really worried about my baby and how the medicine and surgery would impact her. I was told the plan was for the procedure to be laparoscopic and less invasive. Although I was scared, I consented to the treatment needed.
When I woke up after surgery, I found out the doctors could not easily get to the mass because of my pregnancy. The plan for the surgery changed while I was on the table. The surgeon made a full cut across my abdomen like he would for a c-section, pushed my baby out of the way and removed the mass. Words cannot describe how scary that time was for me.
Thankfully, the pathology of the mass came back benign. I am even more thankful my baby girl appears to be unaffected by the surgery, medicine, and stress she was exposed to while in the womb, inches away from my incision. I was able to heal, but I could not return to life as I once knew it.
Though I had always loved my job as a civil defense attorney, what I experienced in my personal life affected my professional life. I began longing to help others who found themselves in the helpless situation I had experienced, to work with doctors as amazing as mine, and to use the skills I had developed to give back to my community.
In 2018, I founded Brooks Injury Law to have the opportunity to make a real difference in the life of others. I wanted to bring individuals and families out of despair through recovery and to work with families to honor and comfort those who are not able to recover from their injuries.
I know I made the right choice when I see the life changing results we have been able to provide our clients. Many are people who have been through unthinkable circumstances and have never given up. They have unwavering faith in our firm's ability to take on their cases, and after years of fighting, we change their lives forever. These clients have completely different cases but what they have in common is no one had ever given them a voice, loved them, or fought for them. Our team was able to be there, through thick and thin, in law and in life.
I keep a photo in my office from one of the first jury trials at Brooks Injury Law. While my client was stopped at a red light, another driver slammed into her and she permanently tore four ligaments in her ankle. The insurance company only offered $5,000, a fraction of the cost of her medical bills. She waited years for a trial as that was her only choice. The jury awarded her $350,000, and they came to talk to her and wish her well after the trial was over. My client was also able to speak with the defendant, who apologized. They hugged and cried together. It was a beautiful moment I will never forget.
My goal for Brooks Injury Law was to always be able to help clients in need. As clients began to ask for help in different areas of personal injury law, instead of turning them away, we decided to expand our team. We were always well-equipped to handle road wrecks but as premises cases like negligent security shootings came in, we were able to bring in additional attorneys to handle the complex legal issues and appellate work that comes with those cases. Next, a medical malpractice branch was added to the firm, followed by a products, civil rights, and class action practice area. Recently, we were able to hire a trial team for expertise in the courthouse. As our clients' needs continue to expand, so will we!
I am proud of our firm's teamwork. We all support each other and help wherever and whenever needed. This allows us to achieve the best outcomes for our clients. It is a true joy to work with each and every member of our firm, and I am grateful every single day to work with a team of amazing people who have dedicated their careers to helping others.
If you think we could help you, please let us know. We appreciate the opportunity to help anyone we can.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2013
- B.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2006, magna cum laude
- State Bar of Georgia
- All State and Superior Courts of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia
Honors & Awards
- Emory Law School Dean’s Award for Public Service
- 1st Place – American Bar Association Regional Trial Competition
- Recipient of Georgia Civil Justice Trial Advocacy Scholarship for Excellence in Oral Advocacy
- Georgia Tech Varsity Record Holder – Four Events
- Dekalb County Swimmer of the Year and Record Holder
- Georgia Tech Academic and Athletic Scholarship Recipient
- Individual State Champion – Georgia High School Association State Championship Swim Meet
- Recipient of the Coca-Cola Award for Excellence in Athletics and Academics
- Dunwoody High School Team Captain and Record Holder
- Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll
- Emory Law School Who’s Who Award for Outstanding Leadership in Extracurricular Activities
Community & Pro Bono Work
- Practitioner Leader – Emory Law Professionalism Program
- President – Spalding Corners Swim and Tennis Club
- Judge/Juror – Georgia High School Mock Trial Competition
- Emory Law Faculty Appointment Committee Member
- Holcomb Bridge Middle School Mock Trial Workshop Presenter
- Emory Law Student Ambassador and Tour Guide for Prospective Law Student
- Georgia Tech Campus Recreation Advisory Board Representative
- Emory Law Community Service Day Team Leader
- Ti:ger Program Alumni Reunion Committee
- Emory Law Career Strategy Panel
- Emory Admitted Students Law Panel
- ACC Championship Swim and Dive Meet Color Commentator
- Emory Welcome Week Law Panel
- Ti:ger Program Alumni Reunion MC
Professional Associations & Membership
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Georgia Tech Letterwinners Club
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Tractor Trailer/18-Wheeler Wrecks
- Wrongful Death
- Death and Shooting Cases
- Workplace Injuries
- Industrial Accidents
- Animal Attacks
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Uber and Lyft Accidents
- Slip and Fall Injuries
- Negligent Security Cases
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect